AML QUOTE: "If we wish our children to have an exalted taste for the lovely and beautiful, create something lovely for them to look upon, let them behold a practical example and exhibition of the beautiful and lovely when they are at home; when they go into the garden let them see the development of beauty, and when they come to maturity and remove far away they will think of the paternal home with delight and pleasure as the place where peace reigns, where joy is developed, where the odor of sweet flowers are inhaled by the visitors, greeting our early rising or cheering us when we retire to our rest."
This is the picture of the home of a Saint, of him who loves to beautify Zion and exalt the children of Zion above all other people on the earth.
Amasa Mason Lyman's Plural Wives and date of marriage.
Most of Amasa's family settled, in 1848 when entering the SL Valley, between Big Cottonwood and Little Cottonwood Creeks. probably with with the Tanners along the Spring Creek area (near Murray Park). Probably about 600East 5300 south, in Murray Utah. A granite monument with a plaque is located at Vine Street (700 East) and 5900 south behind the LDS Church. 1885 Map of Salt Lake Valley, https://slco.org/globalassets/1-site-files/surveyor/niftic/historicmaps/1885_slc_topo.pdf
Plaque reads: On this historic corner once stood the hub of South Cottonwood community. The first settlers were principally Mormon converts from the southern states, under the leadership of Amasa M. Lyman. On Thursday, October 19, 1848 this company arrived in Great Salt Lake City, and before the end of the month the company had settled in this area. Most of these families sheltered from the winter storms of 1848-1849 in tents made from canvas wagon covers with walls reinforced with mud and timber or in dugouts excavated into the slope of a hill. One of the pioneers of that time was John Benbow who arrived with the Brigham Young Company of 1848. As near as can be determined, the John Benbow dugout was in the small embankment approximately 30 feet south of the rock granary. On February 16, 1849 the South Cottonwood Ward was organized with William Crosby as its first bishop. In 1851 most of the original settlers were called to accompany Elder Lyman on the mission to establish the city of San Bernardino, California. With the arrival of additional settlers to South Cottonwood an adobe meeting house was constructed on this corner in 1856. The original structure was added onto in 1869, in 1927 in 1941 and in 1969. Located on this same corner, south of the meeting also stood a cooperative store built in 1872 and operated by Richard Howe and his wife Ann. Ther store also served as postoffice to the community. At one time the ward owned a dairy, a hospital, a school, a stable, a park and a cemetery. Of the buildings of that era that once occupied this corner, only the rock granary survives as a reminder of the industry and faith of the pioneers of South Cottonwood.